Saturday, December 22, 2012

This Christmas is bittersweet for so many families in America. It leaves us, as parents, to keep the joy alive in the midst of ongoing tragedies. It is challenging to listen to the joy of my child, expressed in his innocent laughter, while remembering the last evening news report. I never want that innocence broken. However as the years pass and he grows, I know that protective shield is getting thinner. He does ask questions which are difficult for me to answer. I inevitably walk away doubting my parenting skills. I wonder if I answered him in a sensitive, yet supportive way or if our talk is going to be part of a therapy session later... I cannot count how many times I have called my mother and apologized for ever being a kid---because being a parent is harder than I ever imagined. She usually chuckles and reassures me that everything will be fine. (That's what moms do.) I felt the need to reassure all of the moms out there. Things will be fine. No matter what the future holds, you have an instinct built into you which will help you help your child. For those of us who have children who have a life different from others, I say pretty much the same thing. Even if you don't think you know what to do, you probably do. We also know when to seek advice from other parents. This is the time of the year when we feel the real need for support from those who've been there. I invite parents of children with dwarfism to join us at Little People of America. This is an organization started by actor Billy Barty 50 years ago. Originally, it was a place where LPs could go to be with other LPs. As it grew, more and more average height people were joining with their child or other family member who had dwarfism. Today, it is a beautiful mix of people who have this one thing in common. Today, it feels like family. I've met so many friends and someday, most likely, I will welcome some of them into my family. For your child, it fulfills the need to grow up with high self esteem, to be apart of something so close to their heart. It is something which will be a life long connection for you and your child. You can find out more by visiting them online at lpaonline.org. Jax and I wish all of you a peaceful and joyous holiday season.